April is Stress Awareness Month. According to the American Institute of Stress, job stress is far and away the major source of stress for American adults and that it has escalated progressively over the past few decades.
Mental Health America’s 2022 Mind the Workplace Report found that rates of stress leading to increased mental health concerns among employees remained prominent across organizational sizes and industries.
The report also found:
- 80% agree that the stress from work affects their relationships with friends, family, and co-workers.
- Only 40% agree that their company invests in developing supportive managers.
- 59% report that their manager cares about their personal well-being.
- 58% disagree that their manager encourages them to take off time when needed.
- 47% know what mental health services they can use when struggling with a mental health concern, but only 38% would be comfortable using their company’s services for a mental health concern.
Take the Mental Health America Stress Screener here. If your answers on some of the questions weren’t what you would like them to be, now’s the time to make changes that can reduce your stress levels and benefit your health.